Research Projects Prof. Dr. Silke Schicktanz
Geriatric Medicine & Dementia
- 2021 – 2024: Project: Optimizing the aging Brain? Situating Ethical Aspects of Dementia
- 2020 – 2022 (funded by DAlzG): Research Project: "Well Advised: New Multi-Mode and Standardized Counseling Models for People in Early Stages of Alzheimer’s Disease or in the Context of Dementia Prediction"
- 2019 – 2022 (funded by the German Academic Scholarship Foundation):PhD Project: "Practices of (De-)Activation. Sociological Perspectives on Care and Treatment of Dementia in German Nursing Homes"
- 2018 – 2020 (funded by GIF): Research Project: "Why to Know or Not to Know? Stakeholders’ Attitudes Towards Prodromal Dementia Diagnosis: Psycho-Social and Ethical Implications in Cross-Cultural Comparison"
- 2017 – 2020 (funded by the German Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)): Research Project: "Dilemmas of Predictive Dementia Diagnostics: German Stakeholder Conference for Improving Ethics Competence in Healthcare and Life Sciences" ("Prä-Diadem")
- 2010 – 2013 (funded by the German Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)): Research Project: "Biomedical Life Plans for Aging: Values Between Individual Ethical Reflection and Social Standardization"
- 2013 (funded bye BMBF, UMG, FAU, und DFG): International Conference: "Planning Later Life – Bioethics and Politics in Aging Societies"
- 2012 (funded by the Georg August University of Göttingen): Workshop II: "Bioethics and Sciences of Aging: The Case of Dementia"
- 2009 (funded by the VolkswagenStiftung): Workshop I: "Medicalization of Aging – Gerontologization of Medicine. Relevance and Changes of Aging in Relation to Modern Medicine"
Digitalization & AI
- 2021 – 2022 (funded by the Lower Saxony Ministry for Science and Culture (MWK)): Research Project: "Our Healthcare System of Tomorrow: Digitalization – Artificial Intelligence – Diversity"
- 2020 – 2022 (funded by the German Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)): Research Project: "Ethical and Social Issues of Co-Intelligent Monitoring and Assistive Technologies in Dementia Care (EIDEC)", Subproject "Professional Perspectives and the Ethics of Empowerment"
- 2018 – 2022 (funded by the German Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)): Research Project: "HiGHmed: Heidelberg – Goettingen – Hannover Medical Informatics", Subproject: "Ethics and Stakeholders"
Genetics & Individualized Medicine
- 2013 – 2019 (funded by Riksbankens Jubileumsfonds for the Humanities and Social Sciences): Research Project: “Mind the risk. Ethical, psychological and social implications of provision of risk information from genetic and related technologies”
- 2014 – 2017 (funded by the German Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)): Research Project “GenoPerspektiv – Dealing with genomic high-throughput Data: The perspectives of clinical practice, ethics, law, and biomedical informatics”
- 2013 – 2015 (funded by the German Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)): Research Project: “Preconceptional genetic carrier screening on rare diseases: social implications, ethical problems and the perspective of patient organizations”
- 2011 – 2014 (funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG)): Research Project within the KFO 179/2 Research Network: “Biological Basis of Individual Tumor Response in Patients with Rectal Cancer: Ethical Aspects, Expectations and Attitudes of Patients towards prognostic Tests with Biomarkers. A socio-empirical and bioethical Analysis (Subproject 9)”
- 2010 – 2012 (funded by GIF - German-Israeli Foundation for Scientific Research and Development): Research Project: “Cross-Cultural Ethics of Health and Responsibility: Expert and lay perspectives regarding bioethical dilemmas in Germany and Israel”
- 2001 (funded by German Hygiene Museum Foundation in Dresden): Project Leadership: "First Nation-Wide Citizen Consensus Conference on Genetic Testing"
Globalization & Cross-Cultural Comparison
- 2022 – 2025 (funded by the Ministry for Science and Culture of Lower Saxony) Research Project: "The Legacy of Nazi Medicine in Contemporary Mental Health Ethics. Comparing three decades of debates in Germany and Israel, 1990-2020"
- 2018 – 2020 (funded by the German Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)): Platform for International Cooperation: "Bioethics and the Legacy of the Holocaust"
- 2016 – 2019 (funded by the Minerva-Stiftung & The Marie Sklodowska-Curie Individual-Fellowship (European Union)): Research Project: "Timing Fertility – A Comparative Analysis of Time Constructions and the Social Practice of Egg-Freezing in Germany and Israel"
- 2014 – 2017 (funded by German Research Foundation): Research Project: "Cross-Cultural Reproductive Ethics: Germany and India"
- 2014 – 2016 (funded by DAAD and the University Grants Commission, India): Research Project: "Contested Avenues of Reproductive Technologies: A Study of Transnational Transfers and Cross-cultural Practices"
- 2010 – 2015 (funded by German Research Foundation): DFG Research Training Group: "Dynamics of Space and Gender" (University of Göttingen & University of Kassel)
- 2010 – 2012 (funded by GIF): Research Project: "Cross-Cultural Ethics of Health and Responsibility: Expert and Lay Perspectives Regarding Bioethical Dilemmas in Germany and Israel"
- 2010 (funded by DAAD and UGILO): Workshop: "’Moving Bodies – Transforming Vlaues': Socio-Cultural and Ethical Issues of Transnational Biomedicine"
- 2007 – 2009 (funfed by GIF, NMWK, BMBF): Research Project: "Biomedical Culture and Ethics in German-Israelic Comparison"
- 2004 – 2007 (funded by the European Commission, 6th Framework Programme "Science and Society"): Research Project: "Challenges of Biomedicine – Socio-Cultural Contexts, European Governance, and Bioethics"
Collective Autonomy & Patient Organizations
- 2019 (funded by the State of Lower Saxony, Germany): Conference: "Collectivity in Healthcare: The Ethics of Social Groups and their Practical Relevance" (Annual Conference of the German Academy for Ethics in Medicine (AEM)), Sept 26 to 28 2019
- 2015 – 2018 (funded by Niedersächsisches Vorab Volkswagenstiftung) : Research project: "OPARA: Organized Patient Participation in Health Care: Collective Advocacy, Representation and Autonomy in Socio-Ethical Perspective". In cooperation with the Israeli Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (Project leader: Prof.Dr. Aviad Raz)
- 2010 – 2014 (funded by Volkswagenstiftung): Research Project: "Autonomy and Trust with Regard to Patient Associations" Subproject of the Interdiciplinary Research Group "Autonomy and Trust in Modern Medicine. Knowledge - Practice - Norm"
Medicine & Popular Culture
- 2016 (funded by University Medical Center Göttingen): Innovative Teaching Project: "Otherness in Doctor-Patient-Relationship: Seminar with Film Analysis"
- since 2015 (funded by University Medical Center Göttingen): Film Series II: "Ethics' Anatomy" (Continuation)
- 2012 – 2013 (own funding): Film Series I: "Complex Conflicts – Bioethics in Film and Public Discourse"
- 2010 – 2016 (funded by German research foundation): PhD Thesis: "Alterity as a Cultural Challenge to Cloning. A Reconstruction of Bioethical and Literary Negotiations"
- 2018 – 2021 (own funding): Survey: "International Student Survey on the Knowledge and Attitudes towards Donation and Transplantation of Organs/Body Parts (ISSATO)“
- 2018 – 2020 (funded by the German Research Foundation): Research Project: "'I Would Prefer Not To' – Organ Donation Between Unease and Criticism. A Sociological and Ethical Analysis" (Follow-Up)
- 2014 – 2016 (funded by the German Research Foundation): Research Project: "'I Would Prefer Not To' – Organ Donation Between Unease and Criticism. A Sociological and Ethical Analysis"
- Since 2012 (own funding): Working Group: "Public Issues of Organ Transplantation, ELPAT"
- 2009 – 2015 (own funding): Survey: "Attitudes Towards Organ Donation. Influence of Gender and Study Background"
- 2009 – 2010 (own funding): Book: "Teaching Ethics in Organ Transplantation and Tissue Donation"
- 2008 – 2014 (own funding): PhD Project: "Decision-Making Processes in the Context of Living Kidney Donation – Medical Ethics and Medical Anthropological Aspects"
- 1998 – 2001 (funfed by the German Research Foundatuion): PhD Project: "Medico-Ethical and Animal Ethical Aspects of Xenotransplantation – The Ethical Assessment of the Current State of the Art"
- Since 2021 Study Group for inter-generational Health Ethics
- 2021 – 2023 (funded by the University of Göttingen): Research Project “Infection and Injustice. Narrative Responses to Pandemics”
- 2020 – 2021 (funded by the German Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)): Research Project: "COMPASS – Coordination on Mobile Pandemic Apps Best Practice and Solution Sharing", Subproject "Ethical and and societal challenges and requirements"
- 2020 – 2022 (funded by the VolkswagenStiftung): Research Project: "Medicine and Ethics Go Viral: The Ethics of Covid-19-health-care – A Global Mapping of Bioethical Perspectives"
- 2020 – 2022: PhD Project: "Ethical Aspects of Fair Resource Allocation in Hospitals during the Covid-19-crisis – A Qualitative Assessment"
- 2020 – TBD (funded by the Health Economics Research Unit of the University of Aberdeen): Research Project: "Lives and Livelihoods: Understanding Public Preferences and Trade-offs for Government Responses During a Pandemic"